The British family of Arthur and Blanche Simpson built the Historic Hawaiian House in 1901, using architect William Sterling Hebbard. The beaches of the bay and the Spanish Bight originally surrounded this house along with two smaller plantation style buildings. Hawaiian Plantation architecture evolved from housing needed for the laborers of Hawaii’s thriving sugar industry that started in 1893. The architectural profile features a hip roof with vertical board and batten redwood siding, and two large lanais. Giant Australian tree ferns frame the front lanai, with two Torii gates and bamboo fencing surrounding the side and back yards. The interior first floor is also redwood and the second floor walls are plank sided with a repeating “pickwick” profile. Flagship restored the house and added the second floor in 2008 and sold the completed home in 2010.